Congratulations to our national award recipients.
City of Sydney – New South Wales
City of Greater Dandenong – Victoria
Mid Murray Council – South Australia
Kiama Municipal Council – New South Wales
Read about the innovative and sustainable ways the 2016 winners and highly commended councils are creating healthier communities in the 2016 Winners Booklet (PDF).
The Heart Foundation Local Government Awards recognise and showcase councils working to improve heart health through building a sense of community, encouraging people to be physically active, be smoke-free and make healthy food choices.
• Opportunities for recreational and incidental physical activity.
• Safe, connected, ‘walkable’ neighbourhoods.
• Accessible, safe and appealing environments and facilities that encourage healthy lifestyles.
• Access to affordable, healthy and/or sustainable foods.
• Building the community’s capacity and knowledge to choose and prepare healthy foods.
• Smoke-free environments.
• Opportunities for community members to lead interactive and socially connected lives.
• Appropriate, well designed and maintained infrastructure that supports recreation, social interaction and active transport options.
The awards reward councils at a national and state level with cash awards, commemorative frames and profiling of council's efforts through promotional material, presentation events, local media and case studies.
For more information, please contact your State Coordinator, or email email@example.com.
NT: Bruce-Lee King
QLD: Kara Gerritsen
SA: Rachel McKay
TAS: Gideon Cordover
VIC: Lisa Speirs
For details of the 2015 national and state award recipients and their initiatives, see the 2015 Winners Booklet (PDF)
The Heart Foundation South Australia provides free resources for local councils to help promote better health, particularly cardiovascular health and risk factors for chronic disease.
Healthy By Design SA