The Heart Foundation Local Government Awards recognise and showcase councils working to improve heart health through building a sense of community, encouraging people to be physically active, be smoke-free and make healthy food choices.
• Opportunities for recreational and incidental physical activity.
• Safe, connected, ‘walkable’ neighbourhoods.
• Accessible, safe and appealing environments and facilities that encourage healthy lifestyles.
• Access to affordable, healthy and/or sustainable foods.
• Building the community’s capacity and knowledge to choose and prepare healthy foods.
• Smoke-free environments.
• Opportunities for community members to lead interactive and socially connected lives.
• Appropriate, well designed and maintained infrastructure that supports recreation, social interaction and active transport options.
The awards reward councils at a national and state level with cash awards, commemorative frames and profiling of council's efforts through promotional material, presentation events, local media and case studies.
If your council is a champion for the health of your community, we encourage you to apply.
For more information, please download the Application Information Pack below:
For any queries and to register your interest in applying, contact your State Awards Coordinator.
For more information on the awards and how to apply, we encourage you to attend one of the following teleconferences and hear more from State Awards Coordinators and other Councils.
To register for a teleconference email email@example.com. Include your contact details and the date/time you wish to attend. A follow up email will be sent to you with an agenda and dial in details.
Entries close 5pm on Friday 26 May 2017.
For more information, please contact your State Awards Coordinator, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSW: Jayne Farley
NT: Simon Dixon
QLD: Kara Gerritsen
SA: Tuesday Udell
TAS: Gillian Mangan
VIC: Lisa Speirs
WA: Angela Kirkham
Read about the innovative and sustainable ways the 2016 winners and highly commended councils are creating healthier communities in the 2016 Winners Booklet (PDF).
The Heart Foundation South Australia provides free resources for local councils to help promote better health, particularly cardiovascular health and risk factors for chronic disease.
Healthy By Design SA